Project Wonderful

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years Lucky Foods

Happy New Year, everyone!  I hope that your 2013 was a good one and that your 2014 is event better!

For me, New Years Day wouldn't be complete without my traditional staple food of Collard greens, black eyed peas and cornbread. I'm originally from California, so I wasn't aware of this custom till I went over to a friends house several years ago and was introduced to the tradition. Now, I can't properly ring in the new year without this being on the menu for New Year's Day.

While I was shopping the other day, the folks at HEB, handed me this short list of lucky foods for the new year and I thought I would share it with y'all.



GRAPES
New year's Revelers in Spain consume twelve grapes at midnight - one for each stroke of the clock. This dates back to 1909, when grape growers in the Alicante region of Spain initiated the practice to take care of a grape surplus.

GREENS
Greens, including cabbage, collards, kale and chard are consumed at New Year's in different countries for a simple reason - their green leaves look like folded money, and are thus symbolic of economic fortune.


CORNBREAD 
Another lucky southern treat due to it's color resembling that of gold. To ensure extra luck, add extra corn kernels to represent golden nuggets. You can never have too much gold!



LEGUMES
legumes including beans, peas and lentils are also symbolic of money. Their small, seed like appearance resembles coins that swell when cooked so they are consumed with financial rewards in mind.

PORK
The custom of eating pork on New Year's is based on the idea that pigs symbolize progress. The animal pushes forward, rooting itself in the ground before moving.


FISH
Fish is lucky for a couple of reasons. Its scales resemble money and fish swim in schools, which invoke the idea of abundance.





CAKE
Although cake isn't necessarily considered healthy, a little indulgence can be a healthy thing for stress relief. Ring shaped cakes - sometimes with trinkets baked inside are a symbol of coming full circle.

Cake courtesy of Gotham Gal.



Happy New Years.

And as always, ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment